Monday 20 June 2011

Another phonecall from my mum

Well, the other night I had a call from my mum who asked why I hadn't called my sister.  I was quite irritated by this as she knows that we have never been close.  She was expecting me to call her every three weeks to ask her how things were going with her pregnancy.  I can't deny that the whole issue makes me feel very uncomfortable and that it has made me less inclined to talk to her.  However, it is not as simple as that.  I have really discovered that when you are a childless woman you have to be so careful around those with kids and pregnant women.
I teach and I have had some strange interaction with mums in my time, some of them are extremely possessive about their kids.  Hey, I guess I would be too, but it can start some hefty conversations about why I teach when I have no children and I can't possibly understand kids when I have none of my own.  It just seems we can't be accepted however we deal with it.  If we try and be involved and be the kind auntie then we are branded  desperate and are trying to steal the children away, like my DH aunt.  She is childless and has always had a wonderful relationship with her niece and nephews.  However, she is now treated like some kind of work mule to care for her aging parents, after all, she has no kids so she has all the time in the world!!!!!!!!!!  When she is exhausted nobody supports her at all and she is told that she has chosen to be that way!!!!!!  On the other hand if we try and distance ourselves then we are seen as bitter. 
I tried to point out to my mum that this pregnancy hasn't altered things between my sister and I, we were never that close and that I feel that pregnancy is a private thing.  It is so refreshing to see that my sister hasn't posted god knows what on Facebook.  I respect her for that.  I then pointed out that if the reverse was true and we decided to go for IVF or adopt, we would say nothing at all.  It a decision between my DH and I.  Likewise, I never expect anybody to talk about my TS.  Well, I can't expect a mum of three to understand really can I??

No comments:

Post a Comment