Sunday 5 June 2011

Play Script

I've never mentioned this in my blog, but I am an actress/drama teacher.  I guess because I am so small (4ft 8, 1m44cm) I have never been cast as a maternal type character.  However, for a workshop I am attending on Tuesday, I have to read this 90 page script and the protagonist is a photographer who has been beaten by her on/off boyfriend and she discovers she is pregnant.  Jesus, now this is a toughie.  As an actress, I have to pretend that I have been in all sorts of situations, but being a pregnant woman is so far from anything I can imagine that I worry that any mother watching would instantly know that I am childless.  Many actors can empathise with most situations that crop up in scripts but because this issue is so close to home I would find it really hard. It is also because it is so primeval, it can be so easily detected.  I am actually feeling slightly nervous.  The character is very happy, so I guess I will just have to imagine what it would be like to take a pregnancy test and get a positive.  Just writing that has made my fingers tingle.  IF has even affected my job.

No comments:

Post a Comment