Tuesday 12 July 2011

Guardian Article: Why the media hate assisted motherhood?

To be honest, I held off writing for a few days as I have been following this issue intently and wanted to think before I put pen to paper.  Dea Birkett has written an article in the Guardian asking why the media portray assisted motherhood in such  a negative way.  I don't feel that they do, the media just mirror what people feel, and this is disturbing.  I feel we should be doing more to educate those internet trolls who systematically write extremely abusive replies every day in online internet newspaper comment boards.  These people are sadly everyday folk who are clueless about the issue of infertility.  There has been a lot in the news recently about IVF on the NHS.  I am a firm believer that it should be available.  This is not just because I am intending to access this treatment but because I have realised that actually, the inability to conceive is a secondary issue for me. My bugbear is the way infertile are treated.  We pay our taxes like everybody else and yet we are told what we can and cant have even though, like everybody else we are chipping in to the coffers for schools and NHS treatment we will never need.  It is down to that quite psychopathic element of human nature that says we look after our own.  This is why these idiots that expect us to 'just adopt', never do so themselves, even though it is proven that if you already have kids and thus have experience you are more likely to have a successful adoption application.  That is why we are expected to sit down and shut up but keep chipping in to the government, and are told to care for those who are already on this planet rather than add to the count.  Ironically enough it is the parents of several kids that tell us this who really thought about planet overcrowding when they conceived.  I don't the media are anti-IVF, but I feel we face a greater danger from an ill educated public.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2011/jul/07/ivf-media-hate-assisted-motherhood

No comments:

Post a Comment