Monday 18 July 2011

How To Support An Infertile Family Member Guide

I have also decided to write a guide so that people who know that their child/sibling is dealing with infertility can try and give support.  These points are in addition to the previous guide I constructed, again guys, I'd love to hear your opinions.  It is a difficult subject to approach as breeding is so natural.  I can't tell people not to talk about their pregnancies /kids but it can be so isolating for an infertile person.  The key is to let them know you care.  This is a rough guide as I am only going through this for the first time myself and would love to get this part more concise.

1) Please be gentle when telling them about other family members pregnancies especially if the expectant parent is younger.  The infertile person may feel extremely humiliated by this.

2)  Facebook is a minefield of scan pictures/baby bumps and happy families for an infertile person.  I can't say don't add these things but please just be aware how a close family member dealing with infertility may see this.  This point is just to raise awareness how seemingly innocent actions can be construed as extremely insensitive.

3)  If the infertile person is the eldest and a younger sibling falls pregnant it can be really rough.  They probably dreamed of how they would break the news of a first pregnancy.  Please, just discreetly ask how they are and that say that you care.  Talk about it on their terms.

I hope these points are helpful xx

No comments:

Post a Comment