Tuesday 3 May 2011

Adoption Question

Hi guys,
Back again.    Hope you all had a good Easter break.  Today I have been thinking about the pros and cons of adoption as a possible option.  My issue is that because I have heart issues (albeit minor), it could make it hard for us to adopt.  I just couldn't face the rejection on top of my infertility.  I also just couldn't deal with the social stigma attached to it as well.  I must stress that this stigma is against the child not me.  It seems that whatever the options are, the questions will follow.  Some of the horror stories that I have heard make my blood boil.  These include:

Do they come with names?
What happened to their real mother?
You are so brave taking in a child from a neglected background!

I seriously would not want my child hearing such abominations said against them, either behind their backs or to their faces.  I would also wonder how my folks and in-laws would accept a grandchild who wasn't biological.  I also wonder how I could care for a child who wasn't biologically mine.  At this present moment I ask myself if I would allow such a child to call me 'mummy'?
Naturally, I would miss out on the huge issue of pregnancy and that does bug me as it quite clearly makes me feel less of a woman, as if the TS didn't do that by itself.  This leads me to the delicate issue of how would I speak to my child about their biological roots, surely they would care.  Every child reaches the dreaded teens and it would gut me to hear them say that I wasn't their mum.  If there is a biological relative still alive, surely they could claim some contact with the child, and I would not feel comfortable with that, for very selfish reasons.  I really don't need the heartbreaking risk of a social worker or court taking my child in whom I had invested a lot of love, trust and yes, money.  I would be scared every day that there would be a knock on the door.  I would be treading on eggshells and that would not be good for the child.   Then again, doesn't every mother worry about her children every day?  It just seems that unless you are lucky enough to do everything as nature intended, it is such a moral and ethical minefield with everybody chipping in some point of view, which is more often than not cruel and ill-informed as they have not been through the minefield of infertility.

No comments:

Post a Comment