Friday 6 May 2011

My sister's announcement

I'm writing this whilst in a bit of a daze so please bare with me.  This morning I received a facebook message from my youngest sister overseas telling me to call my other sister.  I called her this morning to be told that yes, she had recently found out she was pregnant.  She discovered it on the last day of a short trip to see my parents over the Easter break.  It would be a first grandchild for my parents.  My father apparently went into shock and my little sister cried.  Even though I knew it would never be me, I am right now feeling that 'first grandchild' moment has now been completely taken from me.  My husband's brother has recently had a baby and his baby brother's fiancee is pregnant.  It broke me to see the pictures of the happy new grandparents holding their first born grandchild.  Surely no subsequent announcements would be as special as that first.  Even though I was the first of us to get married, my mother has even told me that 'It wasn't what they really intended it to be'.  So I'm sure my siblings' weddings will be better too.  I really didn't want this to be a self indulgent me-post blog, perhaps I was being naive to think there wouldn't be me-moments, but I guess I am entitled to it this time.
xx

No comments:

Post a Comment