Thursday 19 May 2011

Donor egg baby article.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/2011/may/14/donor-eggs-pros-cons-conception

This week, I read a very insightful article about a journalist who conceived via donor egg.  She poses some serious questions that I am going to have to address.
1) Even though I am pregnant, will the child 'feel' like mine.
2) How will I cope, raising a child who isn't biologically mine?
3) Do we tell our child the truth?
4) How do I cope if our child decides to trace his/her egg donor?
5) How do we discuss my South African roots?
6) Do we tell others about how our child was conceived?  If so who?
7) Will our families love our child the same as biological members of the family?
8) How do I approach my employers with the news that I am having a very high risk pregnancy?

At this early stage, I have more questions that answers, hopefully soon I will start to find my way and decide how these issues will be dealt with.  It just seems that unless a child is conceived naturally, within a marriage and when the mother is between 25-35yrs old, there is somebody around to pass judgment.  It is this factor that again makes infertility harder to deal with then it should be.

No comments:

Post a Comment