Sunday 15 May 2011

Different Cultures

I am half South African and this has added a new dynamic to my situation.
Firstly, my extended family, who don't know me that well,  have put a lot of pressure on me with the questions about when I'm going to have a baby.  It is the cultural norm to have a large family at a young age and to raise them in a 'traditional' fashion with a working father and a housewife mother. I worry how they will react towards me when they know that it is my unwed younger sister who is pregnant and not me.  They already want to know why I won't make my mum a granny.  
I also wonder how this will affect any prospective egg donation.  How will I explain the whole South African connection to my child?  It would certainly help to have a South African donor.  I certainly wouldn't want to meet her as to be honest, she is more of a woman than I will ever be. I wonder if I will have to go to South Africa.  I don't really want to because I don't want my folks to be involved until I tell them I am having a baby.  The fact that I would be there and in hospital would attract attention from my extended family too. I really want to keep this between myself and my husband.  I hope there is even a donor on the list.  I don't mind waiting for years.

No comments:

Post a Comment