Tuesday 3 May 2011

Surrogacy

I have also been thinking about surrogacy.  As I have no eggs of my own and there is a possibility that my womb may be too small and that strong drug may only help minimally, this is another option.  This would mean that my husband's sperm would fertilise another woman's egg and the embryo would be implanted into the donor.  This is very touchy ground as any resulting child would be biologically my husband's with another woman, even though of course there would be no 'natural conception'...lol.  It would certainly give my husband the opportunity to be a biological father but thinking from my own persepctive, again, I would miss out on the pregnancy and I would feel like a spare part in the room when she would have scans etc.  Legally too, I would have no right at all if anything was to happen.  I have read so many scare stories of the arrangement going wrong and the surrogate claiming full custody where the childless couple (where the man is the biological father) have no rights but they have to pay maintenance.  It is as if the childless couple are always at the bottom of the pile, which to an extent I can understand as the child comes first but they are still suffering emensly after a huge battle. It is as if the world is just telling them to 'get over it'!!!!!! As if........
Some of my posts may be a little selfish but surely any parenthood is a lifelong commitment and it is a two way relationship?

No comments:

Post a Comment